- not (used before adjectives and nouns)
- Used as a prefix of simple negation ziemjre (not clothed)
- to, more than - used with verbs of liking or preference such as kaih; pija kai zi spajei (I prefer pizza to spaghetti.)
- negates adjectival substantives, acting as a negative copula ses zi ye I am not happy. (Happiness not me)
- used to indicate a choice between two or more items – similar in meaning to English or uaiu aba zi mafai? Will you eat bread or cereal? (Will you eat bread, or will you eat cereal? [that is, you may eat one or the other])
- or not Beleue zi beleue zu ma? (“Well not well you?”) Are you well or not well?
- neither… nor: zi ye zu doi vuis. Neither I nor you desire death.