Origin uncertain, though various derivations have been suggested:
- from ajas "awake" with intensive prefix na-, which extended the meaning
- from an earlier naa "with eyes open" or "with life"
- from na "alive" plus ja (intensive)
- (obsolete, displaced by ajas) awake, in a state of consciousness
- aware of the true reality of things, informed, wise, enlightened
- mupi naja ame imele Aware of his/her friend's pain, s/he comforted his/her friend.
- naja ji wahea Knowing what is right, s/he does it.
- aura nanaja an incredibly wise person